North Freedom Public Library
Library Assistant Position
Hours: 6-16 hours (flexible) a week and fills in as needed. Weekends required.
Wage: $11.00 per hour
Benefits: No benefits provided
Under general supervision from the library director, perform paraprofessional work serving library patrons directly and indirectly. Will have some decision-making responsibilities.
- Perform circulation desk procedures, such as checking in and checking out materials, registering patrons, issuing cards, and handling money.
- Assist patrons with reference questions, reader’s advisory, and more.
- Assist patrons with internet and computer software.
- Assist with interlibrary loan requests.
- Arrange returned materials and re-shelves in proper order.
- Read shelves to keep material in proper order.
- Check in delivery of loan materials.
- Assist with library programs.
- Light cleaning.
- Maintain open communication with Library Director regarding library operations.
- Perform other related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITY REQUIRMENTS
- Ability to learn quickly.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of library patron information.
- Computer skills, including intermediate using, and teaching basic skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff and public in person and on the telephone.
- Ability to follow detailed directions.
- Willingness to keep pace with changing technologies.
- Working knowledge of English grammar and spelling.
- Sitting, standing, walking, climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, bending, twisting and reaching.
- Lifting and carrying 50 pounds or less.
- Handling, processing, picking up and shelving books.
- Pushing and pulling: objects weighing 60-80 pounds on wheels.
- Effectively communicate ideas and information both in written and in oral form.
- Read and understand information contained in reports and bulletins.
- Follow instruction from supervisor, verbally and in written form.
- Evaluate and make independent decisions based upon experience, knowledge or training, without supervision.
- Calculate basic arithmetic problems (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division) without the aid of the calculator, as well as count monetary change.
- Manage duties independently in order to finish tasks assigned.
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS REQUIRMENTS
- Inside work environment.
- Partially flexible work hours; evening and weekend hours are required
EQUIPMENT KNOWLEDGE REQUIRMENTS
Library automation system, calculator, copy machine, telephone, computer and CD-ROM equipment, printers, cameras, building heating and air conditioning, and other types of equipment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRMENTS
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- General office experience with keyboarding.
- Two or more years’ experience working with the public.
- Previous library experience preferred.
Application (PDF) , also available at the library in paper
Submit an application along with a cover letter and references to:
North Freedom Library
105 N. Maple St.
North freedom, WI 53951
Deadline: Position will remain open until filled.
Question about this position may be directed to the library director at 608-522-4571, or firstname.lastname@example.org